Blog 01: Person On The Street


Blog 01: Person On The Street      

Derek McGannon

Heagney 1112-03

1/22/2022

Introduction

Welcome to the first blog post of 2022! This year I will be displaying the progress for my Audio Visual Class COM 1112-03, and most of my work will be done through Adobe Audition. 

Our first project is a person on the street interview audio recording similar to Billy on the Street but without the camera. I am excited to see where this takes me as I edit my own dialogue as well as those of the people on HPU campus. I have iterviewed two students, Kayla and Jalen, as well as Dr. O'Hara who is an expert on the topic of mathematics. I know her beacuse she is my calculus teacher here at High Point University.

Theme

Creating a theme for the interview was difficult. I brainstromed my passions and landed on one of my favorite subjects in school which was physics and math. I wanted to see what people thought on the subject since many people dont share my passion or hate it in fact. The most common question I hear in these classes by students that have the latter opinion is: "When am I ever going to use this in the real world." Sometimes they have a point. But if math is a required class for everyone practially every year of grade school, it must be important to some degree. 


So Far

So far I have brought all of my tracks together into Adobe Audition. My intro is first followed by my first Interviewee Kayla who says basic geometry is most important, followed by jalen who says basic algebra and the maths up to precalculus. Finally, our expert Dr. O'Hara says statistics. Importing and placing these tracks was actually quite difficult for me since this is nothing like Adobe Photoshop or InDesign. It was also done on a PC rather than MAC so it was okay once I figured out the skeleton of Audition. 

Ideas

For future blog posts I have some ideas about additional sounds. Firstly, I think tasteful music is a good way of opening and closing the interview. Next I would like to add natural and ambient sounds that create a "sense of place" as Casey Frechette put it. These I believe will be birds chirping and possibly cars going by to make it sound like we are in the park or promenade. 


Give it a listen:   https://soundcloud.com/derek-mcgannon/billyonthestreet-mixdown

Comments